I made the most wonderful soup today. Every time, I make soup, I go outside to get the vegetables and with the Spring sunshine in the air this morning, I decided that my usual, Spiced Parsnip, was just too wintry.
It would be the kind of day that needs a bright, colourful and fresh soup and so I came up with this Sweet Chilli, Coconut and Sweet Potato effort. If the idea sounds too exotic for soup or too sweet, I implore you to try it because it’s seriously delicious!
I’ve called it Malibu Barbie Soup because the coconut reminded me of Malibu, the spirit, and it’s a wonderful orange colour like a Californian tan!
Eleanor’s Malibu Barbie Soup
for a large saucepan!
- 3 large potatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large sweet potatoes, chopped
- 5 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- In a large pan, saute the onions and potato in melted butter until the onion is golden and the outside of the potatoes golden too.
- Pour 2 pints of boiling water (you may need more but to cover the vegetables) into the saucepan, add 3 tsp of vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
- When boiled and the potato is soft, whizz in a food processor or with a mouli until smooth. Add a tin of coconut milk and the sweet chilli sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season and serve
I decorated mine with a slick of coconut cream from the tin, a splash of sweet chilli and a couple of croutons.