I’ve been a bit absent recently, between covering extra shifts at work and a trip to the Isle of Wight festival, I’ve barely had time to read my emails. This last weekend I had the first weekend in months where I didn’t have any plans or had to go anywhere so I spent hours catching up with work (all varieties!) and with 8 loads of washing! Between the laundry and the note-taking, I thought I would whip up a super quick batch of muffins with some discounted blueberries I found in the shops.
This isn’t a wow-er of a recipe. It isn’t going to make the softest, fluffiest muffins you’ve ever found but it’s super quick and it’s quite store-cupboard friendly. Carless, I always find myself groaning when a recipe calls for buttermilk or ground almonds or anything more complicated than the corner shop can manage! I would recommend eating these warm, they were nice cooler but amazing warm. I would call this a breakfast muffin, ideal for whipping up a quick batch to complement a sunday brunch or to satisfy a sweet craving and delicious with a giant cup of tea or mug of coffee. The batter looks a bit odd, I think that’s the vegetable oil, trust it, it turns out ok. I had to add a bit more liquid, I’m not sure if that was because of the size of my egg. Trust yourself, if it looks a bit gloopy, add some more milk. I also always add lemon to a blueberry muffin, it’s a compulsion and I think it adds a lot. It seems to bring out the flavour of blueberry but if you don’t like lemon, you could always use vanilla.
When I have finally finished unpacking tents and sorting through baby wipes and sunglasses, I shall update some more of my recent adventures but in the mean time, make a batch of muffins and enjoy.
Quick Blueberry and Lemon Muffins
- 375 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200 g caster sugar
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 125 ml milk
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- the zest of one lemon
- 300 g blueberries, fresh or frozen
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and caster sugar until mixed.
- In a separate bowl or jug, whisk the oil, egg, milk and lemon extract. Gently add this to the flour mixture until just combined.
- At this point, stir in the blueberries and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 20-30 mins.
- Mine took about 25 minutes but start checking at 20.
Even the cat was tempted: